Nawa Nidhi Dahal
Director / Producer
Nawa Nidhi Dahal was born in Khotang, eastern Nepal on July 1, 1989. After the completion of Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies in 2014, he decided to work as a producer. He set up his production company Simal Cinema and started with student short films. In 2016, he produced Sunil Pandey’s “The Eternal Journey”. The film received a warm response from the festival circuit having received the highest prize in some of them. To continue his passion, he produced another short film in 2018 called “The Remains” directed by Manoj Babu Panta which is still traveling around the globe in different film festivals and receiving major awards in some of them. Another effort of him as a co-producer, ‘Song of Clouds’, a short film by Ankit Poudel, was world premiered in Sundance Film Festival 2020 and has been received well in major film festivals around the world. His latest work as Creative Producer in the debut feature film ‘One Night in Kathmandu’, written and directed by Mohan Rai will be world premiered in January 2021. Mr. Dahal is an alumnus of the Busan Asian Film School (AFIS). He attended Locarno Open Doors Lab in August 2018 and Produire Au Sud Workshop in November, the same year. He also completed the 6-week residential workshop of Global Media Makers in November 2019.
- The Eternal Journey (2016), 14 min 52 sec, Fiction, Producer
- The Remains (2018), 16 min 27 sec, Fiction, Producer
- Song of Clouds (2020), 15 min, Fiction, Producer
- One Night in Kathmandu (2021), 70 min, Fiction, Producer
Achievements and Awards
- The Eternal Journey (2016), 14 min 52 sec, Fiction
- Best Innovative Film Award in 19th Youki Int. Youth Media Film Festival
- Best Experimental Film in 2nd Berlin Experimental Short Film Festival
- 3rd Best Film in Video Art Festival ‘Now and After’
- Best Film in 1st Nepal Panoroma in Nepal Int. Film Festival
- 3rd Best film in 1st Oscar International College) short Film Festival
- Special Mention and Future of Nepali Cinema award in 4th Ekadeshma Int. Short Film Festival.
- Officially selected in other 11 international Film Festivals.
- The Remains (2018), 16 min 27 sec, Fiction
- Official Selection in 49th Tampere Film Festival (2019)
- Jury Award: Best International Work in WNDX: Festival of Moving Image (2018)
- Grand Jury Prize in 3rd Nepal America Film Festival (2019)
- Special Jury Mention in Short of the Year – Spring (2019)
- Winner of the Category ‘Innovation’ in 1st Cinema Talks International Filmfestival (2019).
- officially selected in other 15+ International Film Festivals including 67th Melbourne International Film Festival (2018).
- Song of Clouds (2020), 15 min, Fiction
- Official Selection in Sundance Film Festival 2020
- Official Selection in Palm Springs Short Fest 2020
- Official Selection in Kortfilmfestivalen 2020
- Official Selection in Docufest 2020
- Official Selection in Molodist Kyiv International Film Festival 2020
- Official Selection in Atlanta Film Festival 2020
- Official Selection in Raindance Film Festival 2020, and many more.
- Winner of Art Film Section at Asoloartfilmfestival.
- One Night in Kathmandu (2021), 70 min, Fiction
- Official Selection in 26th Kolkata International Film Festival 2021